What Is Dysport?
Dysport (abobotulinumtoxinA) is a neurotoxin injection treatment that is used to treat and prevent the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in adults. A popular comparison to a Dysport treatment would be Botox, which is also a neurotoxin as well. Dysport was made by the famous pharmaceutical company Galderma, which is also known for manufacturing a popular cosmetic filler treatment known as Restylane.
Dysport is an approved treatment in 69 respective countries and has been used as a clinical treatment for over 25 years worldwide. This treatment works by preventing nerve signals from reaching your facial muscles and “paralyzing” them. Patients normally see noticeable results within two to three days after their treatment as their facial lines (forehead, crows feet, elevens, and more) begin to soften and smooth, creating optimal and noticeable results.
Glow Aesthetic Center is excited to offer this non-invasive and fast-acting treatment to help reduce and clear the fine lines and wrinkles in our patients. As we age, fine lines become more prominent because our skin loses collagen and other natural protein fibers responsible for maintaining elasticity. Dysport works by stopping nerve signals, smoothing targeted muscles, and restoring volume to your face for up to six months after treatment.
What Are the Advantages of Dysport?
Dysport is great for patients who would like to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, in the upper face region. Some popular treatment areas that include the forehead, the crows feet (wrinkles on the side of the eyes), the elevens (wrinkles in between the eyebrows), and much more. It is also an FDA-approved treatment for cervical dystonia and adult spasticity.
Dysport is a fast-acting, reliable treatment that provides noticeable results within a couple days after treatment. Your lines and wrinkles will become less visible and fade away as your muscles begin to relax.
Plastic surgery and other surgical procedures require both large amounts of money and downtime to heal. Dysport is a non-invasive method for preventing moderate to severe fine lines and wrinkles that are found mostly near the top half of your face. It can also be used for other types of treatments such as teeth grinding (TMJ), or hyperhidrosis (over sweating).
Patients typically add Dysport to their skin care routine by scheduling appointments year-round for maximum results. You don’t have to be self-conscious about lines and wrinkles anymore! At our aesthetic center, our expert clinicians inject Dysport to prevent new lines and wrinkles from forming and old ones from deepening.
A local anesthetic is applied before your treatment to alleviate any discomfort you might experience during the procedure.
Before Your Next Dysport Treatment:
- The results of your Dysport injection(s) last on average around three to four months, dependent on your body. If it is your first injection, if a long period of time has passed since your last injection, or if your facial muscles are especially strong, your results may wear off more quickly.
- Patients who consistently receive their Dysport injections and/or those with smaller or weaker facial muscles can space their injections by four or five months, sometimes more.
- To ensure the best result, schedule your next Dysport appointment in about three months so your results do not wear off. The goal for a neurotoxin treatment is to prevent facial wrinkles not to treat or clear. This is why you should not wait until your effects had fully worn out, otherwise you may need to spend more money and receive more units to be able to get the same result.
- Dysport is not used in pregnant or breastfeeding patients. It is your responsibility to inform our staff of your health status and to cancel or reschedule your appointment as needed.
- If you have a social or work commitment immediately following your scheduled treatment that will interfere with your recovery time, please reschedule your appointment.
- A week before your treatment, stop all medications and supplements that can increase bleeding at the injection sites as well as swelling and bruising of the treatment area. These include NSAIDs and fish oil.
- 24 hours before treatment, avoid alcoholic drinks because alcohol can thin the blood, causing complications.
- Eat a healthy snack before your treatment to lessen the chance of lightheadedness during the procedure, and avoid caffeine.
- Come to your appointment with your face freshly washed and with no makeup.
After Your Treatment:
- Right after the injection, you may feel or see small nodules at the injection site. Do not massage the nodules in. They will dissipate in just a few minutes.
- Following your injections, your skin may feel dry and itchy. This is a result of the clinician cleaning the injection site with alcohol before treatment. You may use Vaseline or other moisturizers to ease these symptoms.
- For 24 hours, stay away from direct high heat.
- You may experience a mild headache. This is normal. The headaches are not due to anything in Dysport itself but because of the actual injection of the needle into your skin. They will usually pass within 36 hours. Over-the-counter pain medications can treat them, but do not take aspirin because it thins the blood, which can cause complications.
- You may note small bruises. These will disappear in a few days. You may cover them with makeup if you desire.