Nail fungus is a common condition that affects around 14% of the population in the USA. It’s a fungal infection that can cause unsightly and often painful symptoms, making it a frustrating problem.
While there are many traditional methods for treating nail fungus, such as topical creams and oral medications, these options can take a long time to work and may not be effective for everyone.
Laser treatments for nail fungus are non-invasive, safe, and have a high success rate, making them a popular option for people looking to get rid of this pesky problem for good.
In this blog, we’ll explore the benefits of laser treatments for nail fungus in more detail and explain why it’s worth considering this option if you’re struggling with nail fungus.
What Is Nail Fungus?
Nail fungus, also known as onychomycosis, is a fungal infection that affects the nails of the fingers and toes. It’s caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes, which thrive in warm and moist environments, such as shoes and socks. The fungi can enter the skin through minor cuts or cracks and then spread to the nails, causing an infection.
Nail fungus symptoms can vary but often include thickened, discolored, or brittle nails. The infected nails may also become distorted in shape and may emit a foul odor. The infection can sometimes cause pain or discomfort, mainly when walking or wearing shoes.
Nail fungus is a common condition that can affect anyone, although it’s more common in older adults, people with weakened immune systems, and those with poor circulation. Other factors that can increase the risk of developing nail fungus include:
- Walking barefoot in damp areas
- Sharing shoes or socks with others
- Having a history of athlete’s foot or other fungal infections
Laser Treatment For Nail Fungus
If you’re struggling with nail fungus, you may be looking for a more effective and efficient way to treat the condition. Laser treatments for nail fungus offer a non-invasive, safe, and highly effective solution that can help restore healthy and beautiful nails.
During a laser treatment for nail fungus, a specially designed laser targets and destroys the fungal cells that have infected the nail. The laser emits a precise amount of heat energy that penetrates the nail and reaches the underlying fungus. The heat energy then destroys the fungus without causing any damage to the surrounding tissue or skin.
One of the benefits of laser treatments for nail fungus is that they are non-invasive, meaning that no incisions, injections, or anesthesia is required. This makes the procedure comfortable and easy to tolerate, reducing the risk of complications or side effects.
Laser treatments for nail fungus are convenient and quick. The entire procedure can be completed in as little as 30 minutes, and there is no downtime required afterward. Patients can resume their normal activities immediately following the procedure, including wearing shoes and socks.
What To Expect
If you’ve decided to undergo a laser treatment for nail fungus, you may wonder what to expect during the procedure and how to take care of your nails afterward. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect:
During the procedure:
- You will be asked to remove any nail polish or decorations from the affected nail(s) before the treatment begins
- A medical professional will use a laser to target the infected nail(s) with a precise amount of heat energy
- The procedure typically takes 30-60 minutes, depending on the severity of the infection and the number of nails being treated
- Most patients experience minimal pain during the procedure, although some may feel slightly warming or tingling in the treated area
After the procedure:
- Keeping the treated area clean and dry for several days after the procedure is essential
- You may be advised to avoid wearing nail polish or other nail products for a period of time to allow the nail(s) to heal fully
- You may also be advised to avoid walking barefoot in public areas, such as gym locker rooms or public pools, to reduce the risk of reinfection
- It may take several months for the infected nail(s) to fully grow out and be replaced by a healthy nail
- Follow-up appointments may be necessary to ensure the infection is fully cleared
Zap Your Toes Back To Life
You don’t have to suffer in silence if you’re dealing with nail fungus. Laser treatments for nail fungus offer a safe, non-invasive, and highly effective solution that can help you regain healthy and beautiful nails.
By targeting the fungus with a precise amount of heat energy, laser treatments can destroy the infection without causing damage to the surrounding tissue or skin.
Glow Med Spa in Encino offers laser treatments for nail fungus performed by experienced and skilled professionals.
Don’t let nail fungus hold you back – zap your toes to life with laser treatments at Glow Med Spa.