The warm and sunny Southern California climate is a significant advantage to living in Woodland Hills. Thanks to mild year-round temperatures, you can wear clothes that reveal your sun-tanned glow just about any time of year.
But what do you do if persistent unwanted hair makes you want to cover up instead? Traditional hair removal methods like shaving or waxing are temporary and time-consuming. Thankfully, laser hair removal in Woodland Hills presents a long-term solution for your depilatory needs.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal is a state-of-the-art medical procedure that uses targeted beams of light to eradicate hair. It leaves you with smooth and hair-free skin, allowing you to ditch the hassle and expense of constant maintenance needed with shaving, waxing, and plucking.
Before your hair removal session, you’ll be asked to shave your hair in the area to be treated. Then, at your appointment, one of our experienced team members will use a small hand-held device to deliver the laser. They will direct the pulsating light waves onto your skin, zeroing in on one hair fiber at a time.
The high-energy light waves travel through your skin and into the hair shaft. Here, the melanin (pigments that give your hair its color) absorbs the energy from the waves and heats the follicle. The heat damages follicle function, so it is no longer able to produce new hair effectively.
What Is the Best Laser for Hair Removal?
The best laser for your hair removal will depend on the amount of color contrast between your hair and your skin. For optimum results, the melanin molecules in your hair must absorb more energy than the surrounding skin. This is easiest for those with a dark hair/light skin combination.
For this reason, laser hair removal was not always recommended for people with darker skin tones. With advances in technology and different lasers available, however, it’s now possible to use this treatment effectively with any client, no matter your skin tone.
Our board-certified practitioners are experienced in laser hair removal in Woodland Hills using Alexandrite and Nd:YAG lasers.
Hair Removal Treatment with Alexandrite Lasers
The Alexandrite laser works best for people with lighter skin and darker hair. It is more effective than the diode or broad-range IPL (intense pulse light) lasers used by other clinics at removing even fine hair in a shorter time.
The selective photothermolysis of Alexandrite lasers also serves to protect your skin from damage while focusing on the actual target: your hair follicle. They use a relatively short (high-energy) wavelength to make quick work of removing unwanted hair.
Hair Removal Treatment with Nd: YAG Lasers
A short-wave laser, or an IPL laser that uses a beam that includes the shorter frequencies, should not be used on people with darker skin. The lack of contrast between the skin and hair colors means the skin would absorb too much of the energy intended for the hair.
For these clients, the Nd:YAG laser is the best choice. It uses a longer wavelength than other lasers, which means less energy in the light beam. Less energy translates to a gentler laser experience and diminished potential for skin damage.
Woodland Hills Laser Hair Removal Treatments Near Me 818-905-8815
What Are the Side Effects of Laser Treatments?
Laser hair removal is a safe and effective treatment choice, regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). However, even the most routine and time-tested medical procedures will sometimes have unintended side effects.
Most side effects of laser hair removal are minor and temporary, subsiding within a week at the most. However, on rare occasions, there could be more severe or long-lasting issues. Potential side effects associated with laser hair removal include:
- Pain during the treatment: Pain tolerance varies from person to person, so some people report feeling no discomfort during their procedure. Others experience a painful or burning sensation, which numbing creams and cooling techniques can minimize.
- Inflammation: Your skin tissue may swell or become slightly red and irritated in the days after your treatment. This is also known as folliculitis.
- Tenderness or tingling: A feeling similar to a mild sunburn is also possible.
- Blistering: If your skin cells are damaged during the procedure, you could experience a more severe reaction, such as blistering on the surface.
- Skin texture changes: Rarely, there could be more permanent damage that results in scarring or thickening of the skin.
- Undesired hair growth: On infrequent occasions, hair could grow back thicker or prematurely gray in the treated area.
Can These Side Effects Be Avoided?
When your laser hair removal clinician in Woodland Hills uses the correct type of laser for your skin color, the odds of experiencing these adverse side effects will be significantly reduced.
There are also some things you can do after your procedure to support the healing process and avoid unnecessary discomfort:
- Stay out of the sun and tanning booths.
- Use a sunscreen of SPF 45 or greater when going outdoors.
- Use an anti-inflammatory lotion.
- Apply topical antibiotics.
- Put cold compresses on the treated area.
- Moisturize with a rich ointment like Aquaphor or Vaseline.
- Take only cool showers when necessary.
- Dry your skin by gently patting it rather than rubbing it.
- Avoid excessive activity and sweating.
- Do not go swimming for at least three days.
Book an Appointment with a practitioner now
Your Premiere Woodland Hills Laser Hair Removal Clinic
For silky smooth skin that lasts, consider laser hair removal from the best in the business — Glow Aesthetic Center. Our state-of-the-art clinic uses the Quanta 4v light system, which is the most advanced FDA-approved laser technology available today. Best of all, we are located a mere seven miles from Woodland Hills.
We offer free consultations where you can meet with one of our experienced board-certified practitioners to discuss your goals and design a personalized laser hair removal treatment plan in Woodland Hills. So, contact us online or by phone to find out more about laser hair removal and get started today!