Most of us will experience hair loss over time because of aging effects on our bodies. Whether you experience bald spots or minor thinning, these changes have the potential to impact your self-image and the way others view you. Thankfully, some treatments may be able to reverse this process.
For men and women choosing to be proactive about their hair loss—without surgery—we’re proud to offer platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair in Encino. Why go under the knife to replace your thinning strands when you can stimulate new growth using platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy?
How Does PRP Stimulate Hair Growth?
The platelets in your blood can help regenerate your tissue and heal wounds. Platelets contain tiny structures like glycogen, lysosomes, and alpha granules that promote clotting and cell growth. PRP has a higher-than-normal concentration of these healing components.
Platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair involves injecting these concentrated platelets into your scalp, treating hair loss by:
- Stimulating the stem cells in your inactive hair follicles, causing them to reawaken and begin growing hair again.
- Speeding up both the degree and rate of cell regeneration and healing.
- Promoting the development of new blood vessels around your hair follicles. More blood vessels increase microcirculation, giving your follicles better access to nutrients needed to grow new hair.
Does Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy Work for Hair Loss?
PRP therapy has emerged from a combination of scientific studies and new technology that’s helped clinicians understand how tissues and wounds heal. For more than 20 years, PRP injections have been used effectively in combination with other therapies to aid in the healing of wounds and skin.
Studies have demonstrated a strong correlation between PRP hair treatment and increased growth when it comes to hair restoration.
PRP has been found especially helpful for people with thinning caused by androgenetic alopecia. This common type of hair loss causes hair follicles to shrink due to genetics and circulating dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body.
For added effectiveness, platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair can be used alongside other FDA-approved therapies, including Minoxidil and DHT blockers. It’s a promising treatment option for those suffering from hair loss without the hassle and healing time of surgical procedures.
Who Is a Good Candidate for PRP Hair Treatment?
PRP hair treatment works better for some individuals than for others. However, you improve your chances of success if you:
- Have androgenetic alopecia-related hair loss: PRP may not help if your hair loss stems from other causes, such as illness, medication, or stress.
- Began losing your hair recently: Hair follicles that have been dormant for
- Began losing your hair recently: It’s more challenging to reactivate hair follicles that have been dormant for longer than five years.
Why Should I Choose PRP Therapy?
Platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair loss may be a better treatment option for many people because it carries numerous benefits, including:
- Long-lasting results: After the initial series of treatments, your follicles will continue producing hair for approximately four to six months. Regular maintenance sessions are required; however, over time, the results should last longer, and you may only need treatments once a year or less.
- Minimal side effects: Although you may experience tenderness or injection site bruising, these side effects are mild and temporary.
- A shorter downtime: Unlike surgery, this procedure is non-invasive, meaning there’s no downtime. You’ll be able to resume normal activities immediately.
- Natural process: PRP therapy for hair growth uses your body’s platelets to stimulate your follicles and trigger a biological healing response.
How Is PRP Treatment Performed?
Before treatment begins, your board-certified practitioner will determine your eligibility based on an initial consultation. First, you’ll be asked questions regarding your hair loss and any medications you are taking. Then, once approved, you’ll schedule an appointment to receive your treatment.
Platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair loss is a multi-step process that lasts about an hour from start to finish:
- You’ll have your blood drawn.
- Your clinician will place the blood sample into a sterilized centrifuge where it spins to insulate the platelets from the plasma.
- The platelets will be combined with a smaller amount of plasma to create a PRP solution. This contains approximately five to 10 times the expected concentration of platelets.
- A topical numbing agent may be applied to your scalp to reduce discomfort.
- Your clinician will inject PRP into the dormant follicles on your head.
What Can I Expect?
Unlike surgery, there are no sedatives or general anesthesia involved with platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair. This means that after treatment, you’ll be able to drive and resume normal activities immediately when you leave the office.
Your care team will give you post-care instructions educating you on the dos and don’ts for the days following your appointment. These may include:
- Do not take NSAIDs or aspirin. Instead, opt for a pain reliever like acetaminophen that doesn’t prevent clotting.
- Ice compresses should be used sparingly, if at all, since they may disrupt the body’s desired healing response.
- Avoid strenuous activity and exposure to heat or sunlight.
- Wait at least three hours to wet your hair.
- Use a pH-balanced shampoo in the evening after your procedure.
- Refrain from smoking or drinking alcohol or caffeine
Call Glow Aesthetics Center to Get Started on Your PRP Therapy
PRP therapy for hair regrowth utilizes your body’s natural healing abilities to stimulate the inactive follicles on your scalp. It’s a non-invasive and effective alternative to surgery or medication that offers long-lasting results.
Contact Glow Aesthetic Center to discover what this cutting-edge procedure can do to treat your hair loss. Schedule your free consultation today to discuss platelet-rich plasma therapy for hair in Encino with one of our board-certified practitioners.
Before & After
RESULTS AND PATIENT EXPERIENCE MAY VARY
View this post on Instagram
This month we are having a very special promotion on our very own PRP hair treatment! By using your platelet rich plasma (prp) that we get from collecting your blood, we are able to stimulate the stem cells in your hair follicles, causing them to reawaken and begin growing hair again. PRP is used in hair restoration because it stimulates inactive hair follicles, pushing them to grow again. #prp #prphairrestoration #hairrestoration #plateletrichplasma #plasma #hair #hairgrowth #encino #medspa #medicalspa #venturablvd